Saturday, June 30, 2007

My little Kristen

Tonight we were part of a scavenger hunt through-out Manhattan to mark the big send off for my wonderful friend Kristen J. or little Kristen as I like to call her. There is a big Kristen in our life too, we will actually see her tomorrow. Anyway, little Kristen and I met six years ago and spent the day on 9/11 escaping disaster in Downtown Manhattan. We have a bond that will last a lifetime. Little KJo is leaving New York and heading West. She works for Google now and her career is on the fast track. I am beyond proud of her.

We were part of the scavenger hunt of memorable people and places. Everyone else picked a bar or fancy restaurant to meet her. Me, the Shining Star Diner on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. That was my home away from home for years. (Little Kristen and I spent many a lunchtime eating fries and pickles…and that's what I had waiting for her tonight too.) All the waiters knew me. And scary to say, five years since leaving the city, they still remember me. Anyway, it was a walk down memory lane for me tonight as I sat in the Diner and waited for her. I know it sounds strange that a Diner would have such special memories, but if you know me…you understand why. (And by the way "my friend Susan" please don't be angry I didn't call, we were a few blocks away for about an hour, next time). Below is a note that I read and wrote to Kristen. I want to put it on my blog so Lia-Rose knows how important that "kid" is to me. And by the way, she does qualify as a kid at the ripe old age of 31. I love you Kristen and so much luck to you!


 


 

Dearest Kristen,


 

I don't remember the day that I met you because I feel like I've always known you.

We have been thru the worst of times and the best of times. I've watched you grow so much over the past few years. You were a young girl when we met, now a young woman with so much a head of her. I am beyond proud of you. You are my other sister. I couldn't love you more if you were blood. You have a way about you that not many have. You are a star. A bright shining one who I know will always be there when I need her.

Kristen, on that horrible day when we were together, an unbreakable friendship was born. A relationship that will continue to grow no matter where we are.


 

There is an old Chinese saying that I use all the time now. I think it is so applicable in our relationship, it says that there is a "red thread that connects people no matter place, circumstance or time." That's us. We met, we bonded, we became sisters. I will love you forever and ever.


 

Love always,


 


 

Wendi


 


 

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Wow, what a wonderful post! You are such a great friend!

Susan said...

"Your friend Susan" here...don't sweat it! :-)

You guys were clearly having a meaningful re-connection moment, and that stuff is sooo important. What you wrote is amazing.

Next time you're in the 'hood, though, we'll get together and gossip over some pickles.