Friday, June 22, 2007



Today we buried my Aunt Helen. This has been the first family funeral since my grandparents died almost thirty years ago. I know I am blessed. I know Helen would have been happy to see us all together. Another Aunt and Uncle came to pay their respects. I made sure to hug them even tighter. My nieces were there as well as my aunt's grandkids and other young beautiful cousins, seeing their youth and smiles made me remember that this is all a natural progression of life.
Today we mourned, we remembered, we cried. My father buried his sister. My cousins, their mother. It hurt me to watch them. My one cousin, who I actually don't really know all that well, was alone. No wife, no partner, no children. Just himself. That broke my heart and I just wanted to grab him and hug him as the coffin lowered into the ground.
As we were leaving the shiva house this afternoon I heard my cousin's next door neighbor's door open. Marching out of the house clutching her nanny's hand was a little girl, a little three year old Chinese girl. (O'k, I know I over-reach at times for connection) and seeing that particular face on this day simply reminded that although these are sad times, there is so much to look forward to.
Life moves us on.....

No comments: