Monday, May 21, 2007

Patience is


If I had to describe my life in one word these days it would be "patient". I, by nature, am far from a patient person. If I go to a restaurant and I'm hungry, I want to be served right away. If I am tired and my bus is late, stay away from me. I don't necessarily calmly stand there. At work when I am waiting for an answer from a client or my boss on a big project, I have to step away from my desk because I can't stand looking at my computer screen and not seeing their name pop up. I'd probably be an awful golfer. I have no patience. Tennis is better for me. Jsut wack the ball when it comes.

While walking tonite, to stifle the hunger that was creeping over me, I had one of those "Aha" moments. (By the way, I seem to be having them more often, it is definitely a benefit of growing older-must be a pre-menopausal thing) I realized that my entire life is all about my ability to be patient.

Let's see...when I younger and just out of school I so desperately wanted a career in NYC.
I was turning 26 (or maybe it was 27) and finally an opportunity. I applied for a job as a Promotion Director at a radio station here (the old WYNY for any radio geeks out there). It came down to two people. me, and a guy. You guessed it, the guy got it (not because he was a guy mind you just because he had a bit more experience). However the point of this story is that I clearly remember the General Manager saying to me, "be PATIENT Wendi. You'll be here in NYC soon and be very successful. A year later, I was here.

I married later in life. I so wanted to meet my soul mate, the man of my dreams. I dated a lot, was the queen of the blind date, and everyone used to say to me, "be PATIENT Wendi. Your love is out there." (Now that was patience, I married at 42 years old!)

When Joe and I first met, we were separated for months because of Immigration stuff. Joe had to head back to Australia to await his Fiancee visa to return. . My family said, "be PATIENT" Wendi, Joe will be back. Before you know it you'll be wed." Our Fourth anniversary is on June 1st.

And now, obviously, the biggest patience test of my life. Waiting for you, Ms. Lia-Rose. The only wait in history where as each month passes, another is added on (not that I am complaining, I am grateful for this!) The point is, I have to dig deep inside of me. As deep as any feeling can be. You are nestled in my heart, buried in my soul. The strength is you Lia_Rose"inside of me" accounts for any and all patience that I have. As I look back on my life, I do know that when I was patient, my goals and dreams came to fruition. I don't doubt that the same thing will happen now. Patience : the capacity, habit, or fact of being patient. That's me because of you, Lia-Rose.

1 comment:

Cyndi and Dean James said...

Hi Wendi, Congratulations on you 4th yr anniversary. I want to tell you that my husband and I were also married on June 1st, but we will be celebrating our 11yr anniversary. I hope you guys do something really special that day.
Cyndi James
Waiting for Alicyn Shea
LID 10/24/06
www.cd2alicyn.com