Monday, May 28, 2007

Being in control of something



So it's been a week and two days on NutriSystem. I can't tell you how much I've lost, because I haven't gotten on a scale. I know that this might be anti-proper dieting behavior but for me, it's the right way. I must say that at the gym this morning, I didn't wince so much when I looked at myself in the mirror.
Last summer I did Weight Watchers. I got on the scale every single day, maybe five times a day. And the frustrating part was that the scale wasn't moving. I honestly was following the plan and counting my points. Every week I'd go to the meetings and lose an ounce or two. But nothing to brag about. One week, I gained weight and I had followed the plan 100%. It was the most frustrating thing. I began to question whether or not I could ever lose weight and I believe with that mindset, u can't. I am one who is very active for the most part. I walk at least 30 minutes a day five or six days a week. Lately I've been visiting the gym at least four times a week. I'll start biking this afternoon in fact. I suppose my downfall this past year has been two factors: 1 Just noshing in the evenings-even if it's just 100 calorie popcorn, I'll have two bags and then add some raisins 2. Feeling like I have no control over anything at times.
I am really proud of myself as this has been so far a very easy process. I know the reason. I am really in control of something for a change and I really believe I am going to lose the weight I need to lose. My goal is at least 15 pounds, maybe 20. I know I am a 46 year old pre-menopuasal woman now, and my metabolism isn't what it used to be. But when my size 8's turn into 10's, this is not good for me. I am only 5'3 (maybe) and I have to be very careful. I for the rest of my life, really am going to have to watch everything that goes into my mouth. Not get neurotic about it, but really watch what I put in there. What Nutri-System is teaching me is that anything can be eaten. It's really a matter of portion sizes. I believe that is true with Weight Watchers as well as Jenny Craig. It's all the same. Eat less. Exercise more. Bottom line, that's what we have to do.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration...i wish i could apply your wisdom to my life...love you

Unknown said...

Cant wait to read more about this..Im trying to lose weight before we head to China. We are part of an online support group called China Wait Loss.

Let me know if you are interested...

Glad I found your blog
Amy
LID 4/23/07

Headmeister said...

If you're standing eye to eye with me, and I'm 5'2", you are sooooo not 5'3" ;)

Whatever you do, be sure to keep working out while you diet. Even if you dont' diet, work out. Because when you diet without exercise, you lose fat AND muscle... but when you gain it back, you only gain back fat. Trust me, I'm a self-proclaimed exepert on what NOT to do...lol.

You're doing great - keep up the good work!