Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Wendi's Book Club

OK, I am not quite Oprah Winfrey, but I like to share interesting books I am reading on Chinese adoption, or on adoption in general. So, I can call this Wendi's Book Club, for no other reason then, I can. Anyway, I am finishing up "From China With Love" by Emily Buchanan. Ms. Buchanan is a correspondent and is well-versed in matters of international politics and has been all over the world covering stories for the BBC. I found the book on Amazon, and of course, it sounded interesting. There were parts of the book that sort of bugged me because she seemed to be a bit "whiny" about her infertility and the long process she had to face before she came to be with her daughters. But, I guess I am kinda of whiny myself at times, so all is forgiven. She brilliantly describes her trips to China as well as other countries around the world where there is discrimination against baby girls. She is also on a mission to learn more about the life her daughter's before they came to be together. This is very interesting and certainly brings light to probably many similar circumstances that our daughters' birth families had to deal with. The book was published in 2006. There are discussions within here about there being less babies being abandoned, and the fact that even if the one child policy was changed, many feel that girls would still be abandoned due to the fact that so many want sons. I am almost finished it and I'd highly recommend it. One of the things I have been trying to do during this wait is to read and learn more about others who have gone thru this experience as well as learn more about China in general. Please let me know if u have read anything of interest.....I am looking for new material!

No comments: