Monday, April 30, 2007

Time moves on

Today marks exactly one year from when we officially started the adoption process. A year ago today, we had our homestudy. I remember being so nervous. I had the house cleaned and scrubbed, I didn't allow Joe to move anything out of place. I bought a big bag of bagels and fruit. When she pulled up, I ran outside to meet her and saw that she had a bumper sticker on her car for Kerry/Edwards. I felt relief. At least we were both Democrats. She walked up the steps into our unit and got a splinter in her finger on the wooden staircase. I was sure we would "flunk". She walked in and my dog MOlly didn't bark. In fact she snuggled next to her. Perfect I thought. About 5 minutes later she asked me for a cup of coffee. Stupid me...I was so nervous, I had the food out but I forgot to ask her if she wanted a drink. I was going to be the worst mother!!!! Four hours later we were finished. It was kinda of fun...I love talking, so I got my chance. We showed her around the house and she thought it was lovely. About four weeks later, the report was finished, and we were off to the next step! Now it's a year later. We have been logged in since October. Time does move...before you know it, it's another year. Rumor has it that referrals are around the corner. I believe they finally got into November of 05. Slowly but surely, time moves on.....

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

A Kerry/Edwards sticker? Wow, are you lucky. I don't think I've ever seen one of those in the whole city of Atlanta.

We're such slackers. We didn't even offer food or drink. I was just thinking that we have to get ready for our homestudy update and our kitchen is in total remodel mode. That's another nice excuse for no food/drink offering :).

Joanne said...

Yes, time does move on...whether we notice it or not! It was a year ago in April that we were accepted by our agency and the paperchase began...

I also was so nervous that I didn't offer any food and I cannot remember if she had a drink - that is so "not" me!!!

Susan said...

Funny, outside NYC, people go to homes expecting to be fed. Here, with the ubiquity of tiny kitchens and take-out, we're oddly programmed to eat BEFORE we go to someone's apt! Thus, despite offering coffee, juice, snacks... I think the dining experience during my homestudy visit involved water and a cookie.

Btw, I just checked...my first homestudy was almost exactly 2 years ago (May 05), and a year before yours . Wow, how tempus does fugit!