Monday, April 16, 2007

Lessons I've learned

Parenting a baby is one thing, a teenager another. Tonite a certain teenager I know called me in a huff. She wasn't very happy about something she needed to do in her life. It was very clear to me that she was feeling challenged about a new situation and this was her reaction. I got nervous. I didn't want to say the wrong thing. I wanted to be sympathetic to her, but I also wanted to show her that I was a grown up who knew a bit more about things then she did. Yikes I thought, I give a lot of credit to her mom! This is challenging! By nite's end we really talked out her situation. I tried to compare what she was going thru to what I am going thru during this long wait for Lia-Rose. I tried to position it that we both need patience, because at the end of both of our journey's something really wonderful is going to happen to us both. I hope she understood it when I put it into that context.She said she did. Bottom line, I learned a big lesson...I need parenting instructions! It's easy to feel like you aren't handling a situation right. How do u know? How do u know that you are doing the right thing by your kids? I wish there was a text book with all the answers. I know there is not. It's just a crap shot I suppose. You hope and prayer you are handling it right. After all, my mom did it. Yours did too. We are pretty o'k. But, if anyone has any lessons in parenting they can share......please post away!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Wendi, The mom of this teen probably has a copy of the 'bible', that is, book called 'Get out of my life, but first take me & Cheryl to the mall' Yes, the teen years are fun, but don't worry, it is just a repeat of the terrible two's. Sometimes you just have to laugh (so you do not cry)..it is funny & painful to see the teens going thru their growing pains. Hey, we were just there, huh? They forget that we grew up in the 60's-70's-80's when things were REALLY COOL (or do they say Fat now?) Watching shows like Gilmore Girls (tho it sometimes makes me gag) helps a little. Mostly just do what you did: be there & listen. & try to steal as many hugs as they allow.
Be well!

Kim said...

oh if there were a book I'd gobble it up! As a mom to a teen, a five and a one year old I am constantly at a loss of words and wish I had an owners manual to refer to. I have made plenty of mistakes and not always learned from them so I've made them again so all I can say is Good Luck! and if you run across that book please let me know!