Saturday, April 14, 2007

Still Standing...with post script



Sorry for the weird screen shot, but this is just the most wild thing. That sad woman above is me. It was taken about a week after 9/11. If u look behind me I am standing in from of the Stock Exchange. I am holding a banana and a cup of oatmeal is in the bag. I was reading a copy of the NY Daily News about the fact that Rudy may seek a third term as mayor. That morning a photographer stopped me. She asked me if I minded if she took my picture. She was documenting people down on Wall Street going back to work. I said sure, no problem. And she snapped away. A few months later there was an art show called "Here Is New York". It was an exhibit of many photos that captured the moments before and after those planes hit. I received a call from my friend Beth who said her brother saw my picture at this exhibit. I had no idea what picture or the what heck he was talking about. But sure enough...I saw for myself. There I was. It was the picture above. I ended up purchasing a few copies and it hangs in my living room today. A year or so later I get together with the same friend Beth and her brother. He said I saw your picture on the cover of a book! I said, what he heck are u talking about. They had actually taken all the photos from the art show and put it into a book. And sure enough, I was part of a collage of photos on the cover. So....that brings us to tonite. Lori and I were "farting" around online. Just googling people we know...I know we really need to get a life. We googled me and a link in french came up. I said, that's not me...but Lori persisted and we find that this photograph made the cover of the Musee' de l'Eysse'' catalog in 2002. It's probably the worst picture ever of me. I am graying, sad, drained and depressed. But I also know how far I 've come. We should never ever forget what happened to us on 9/11. I will always have this incredible photo to document this moment in time. I emailed the photographer tonite to let her know that I am absolutely still standing!
PS I got a response from the photographer!
Dear Wendi -
Thank you for writing. I am so happy to hear that you are doing well and that the photograph has meaning for you. I think that's the best
a photograph can do in the world.
All best wishes, and congratulations on the baby. You're about to fall in love. How wonderful.
suzanne

5 comments:

Susan said...

Only one word: WOW!

Anonymous said...

Wen - Jodi here from Kathmandu. I want you to do one thing for me - when you finally hold little Lia- Rose in your arms for the very first time, take a picture and capture that special moment. Life is full of special moments - and your very special one is coming. You guys are always in my prayers! Suzanne is right - you are about to fall in love, over and over and over and over again!!

Daniella said...

Wow is what also came to my mind!
We were living in NY on 9/11 - I'll never forget that day.

Stephanie said...

Oh, Wendi I think that picture is extrodinary! It's amazing you have this to document that horrific tragedy.

I didn't know you were famous. Can we still meet?

Headmeister said...

Hi Wendi... In that picture, you're standing in a spot I ran by when the first tower was falling. I was running from the giant cloud of burning dust and debris, trying to find a place to hide. I eventually ended up ducking into a stairwell behind the very building you're standing on the corner of. Although the circumstances surrounding the picture are inexplicably sad, I wish I'd had a picture taken of me right afterwards, on that same path I ran to save my life. I'd have liked to be able to reflect on that time, and see how changed (for the better) a person I am today because of it.

Hugs to you sister... see you soon :)