Friday, March 02, 2007

Adoption is


My friend Susan (http://www.slinky37.blogspot.com/) comments on reading about the Jolie/Pitt plans for a third adoption from Vietnam. While admirable of the Jolie/Pitt union the there is something that really bothers me about the continuous international adoptions. First off they make it seem like a very simple process. Nothing is ever explained about how the process actually works, or the difficulties that it entails. In fact, to me personally, all the news I read about their adoption journeys make it seem as easy as literally going into a store and putting in an application for an instant credit card. I also hate the fact that the media eats it up and paints a picture like...."this week this one is adopting from Vietnam"... comparable to the Paris Hilton/Lindsey Lohan boy toy of the week....it is not that simple. And my friend Susan (isn't' that funny, every time I talk about her I call her "my friend Susan' as opposed to what? anyway....) says it best....Angie needs to tell the real story. Adoption is hard, it calls for patience and strength. Adoption calls for faith. Adoption calls for hope. Adoption isn't easy. I am happy for the Jolie/Pitt adoptions....the Madonna/Guy Richie adoptions...it is all good. They are raising the awareness that adoption is important and is vital to the survival of our world....however, when telling this story...share the whole truth. The blood tests, the criminal checks, the agonizing, the scrutinizing, the loneliness, the lost feelings, the anger that it can't go faster, the fear that your child is alone in some dark and cold orphanage in a world thousands of miles away. Adoption is for me. Adoption is the way I will give birth to my daughter. I beg the Angelina Jolie's of the world....tell the whole story, damn it!

No comments: