Monday, March 19, 2007

A walk down memory lane

Tonite I had an appointment downtown. Instead of hopping on a subway to get to the Port Authority, I decided to walk. It was a nice nite, relatively and I had some time. I purposefully turned off my phone and kept quiet. I walked up Fifth Ave...over 14 Street...up 6th Ave...over 23rd street, up 7th Ave. over 27th street, back down to 8th and up to 42nd Street. Along the way, I passed stores I hadn't shopped in in years, saw people that reminded me of old friends, spotted restaurants that I forgot how great their food was. I thought of things that I hadn't thought about it in years. I remembered when I was just a 28year old girl arriving in New York City with thoughts and dreams. I remembered the 35 year old girl who was just longing for love. I saw myself today..almost 46 years old and being in a happy relationship with my special husband and waiting for my baby girl. Today I spoke to my old friend Teri. We worked together years ago and had a very unique friendship. She is black, I am white, and we always felt that we were so much alike. I thought a lot about her tonite as I walked. Teri just recently got engaged to a man who she said " was right there in front of me" the whole time. It made me think tonite as I walked down memory lane...all the time I was dreaming of what I wanted my future to be, it is really right there in front of me right now. It all came down to this perfect time in my life. Waiting for my daughter is just part of this time .Part of the journey down the long road ahead of me.

No comments: