Saturday, March 31, 2007

Beyond Good Intentions


I am reading a book about International Adoption. "Beyond Good Intentions" by Cheri Register. It's "reflections on raising Internationally Adopted Children". It's essays that really highlight both the joy and the risk of adoption. It's interesting. And she seems to be brutally frank. Adoption is way more that cute little babies dressed up in ladybug outfits. There are harsh realities that I need to understand. My goal is to provide Lia-Rose with whatever we need to make our family life as "normal" as possible. With an inter-racial adoption, it's always going to be obvious that Joe and I aren't Lia-Rose's birthparents. I want her to feel comfortable with that. If she needs one day to try to learn more about her birthparents (which is very difficult in with Chinese adoption) I will support her 100%. There are also some interesting articles on Adoption in O Magazine. One story was written from the adoptive mother's point of view when her daughter was searching out her birthmother. Very interesting. I believe that god gives us what we can handle, and I truly believe that we will be able to deal with and provide whatever it takes to make sure that Lia-Rose grows up self-assured, happy and confident. And, I'm never ever afraid to ask for help!

No comments: