Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My uterus and the waiting room

In the past ten years my uterus, ovaries and that whole area down there has been a source of concern for me. Whether it was dealing with major cramps, bloating, gas, bladder pressure (really sorry to get graphic here), or lack of fertilized eggs-there has always been something going on down there. I've had d&c's, laparoscopies, hysteroscopy's , this horrible thing with tubes in my fallopian tubes and one major myomectomy. It never stops.
I always associated all of these issues with the one big issue of infertility. Even before I was married and ready to be a mommy, I dealt immediately with all of this stuff to make sure that I would be o'k to get pregnant when it was time to get pregnant. My female reproductive area has not been kind to me. As hard as I try…I can't stop my uterus from loving cysts, and my ovaries from loving polyps. Ouch. I get sonograms every six months, and have for years, to monitor the situation. And, true to form, the nearly perfect uterus of a year ago, now has these lovely things growing on them. Look, I know it could be a lot worse. I know I know. But, I must say I am drained. I thought, that once I put my mind to making my baby the dear old adoption way, that all my gyn issues would disappear. I was wrong. Anyway, I have to visit my least favorite place in the world on Friday. My Infertility Doctor's office. Why? This doctor has performed three procedures on me. My GYN feels he would be best doing the next one.We need to have a consultation to plan the procedure. It won't entail an overnight hospital stay or anything like that. Procedure in the morning, out by late afternoon. But the new adventure will put me face to face with depressed moms and dads to be. Sitting in the lobby is so hard. The sadness creeps right through the walls. The artificial lovemaking that goes on to try to make a baby. It's very tough and those of you who have been there know. Some walk in with their hopes so high, others are walking out with their dreams crushed. I was one of them….not so long ago. So on Friday, me a "paper pregnant" mom to be will walk into a Reproductive Surgeons office, not trying to make a baby. Just trying to keep myself healthy for the one I am about to have.

9 comments:

Susan said...

You know how very sorry I am that you have to deal with all this, but...

While Lia Rose may not be in your arms yet, you're already taking care of yourself for her sake. Wow, yes, you can go there knowing you're already a wonderful mother!

Unknown said...

I am sorry as well. What emotions going through to that dr? You explained it in a way that I had not thought of!

Joanne said...

I hope all goes as well as it can...only people who have been through this can truly understand ~ take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about this. I will be thinking of you on Friday morning and looking forward to giving you a big hug on Monday!

Anonymous said...

Oh Wendi, I can relate. I'm so sorry you have to endure this again...I know that waiting room situation well. It breaks my heart.

Anonymous said...

Wendi,

I am absolutely certain that your kind and caring spirit will be felt in that
Dr. office. The residual good vibes will stay long after you go. When you leave that place it will be better than when you arrived.

I too have a dysfunctional baby making zone and have had way to many gyno procedures. I have not been down that road as far as you have though.

I am sending you my thoughts and remember you are expecting!

Stephanie said...

Oh Wendi I'm so sorry to hear of this. Well, well here's a big ol' cyber hug and a lot of even more good juju for the appointment to be a breeze.

Love ya!

LJC said...

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but here goes anyway...

You are different from those other women in one big way, you ARE an expectant mom. And meanwhile, if it weren't for those polyps, cysts and fibroids, Lia-Rose would NEVER find her way to you.

I know you know this, but I had to say it.

Daniella said...

Sorry your going through this - I'll be thinking of you on Friday.