Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Fighting stereotypes

So, in today’s NY Daily News this ran……read it first: Gatecrashers




I sent this reply!

Dear Ben,

I am a big fan of your column, and religiously read it everyday. I was so disappointed into today's "big story." As a Mother to Be waiting to adopt my daughter in China, I do want you to be aware, that you'll be surprised what being Jewish "looks" like. You see, my daughter will go to Temple as I did, and celebrate Passover. She will attend and celebrate her Bat Mitzvah, and yes, she will most probably have all the Jewish Holidays off. Look around many of the Synagogue's in the NY area and I promise you, you will see many beautiful Chinese faces. In fact I know of two Cantors in New Jersey who both just recently adopted their Chinese daughters.

I do realize, there was humor intended in your article. But in a world full of stereo-types, as much as I can protect my daughter to be....I will try. Thank you for letting me speak my piece. I will continue to read and enjoy your column...but lets be careful of stereotypes....it is just truly the one thing the media can really control....so why not?
Thank you,

Wendi C


I'll let you know if they reply!

And the reply:

Wendi, thank-you for your very thoughtful and thought-provoking email. I feel very grateful to live in a place where cultures can blend and it is a wonderful thing that you will be able to raise your daughter in your faith. Given that Lucy, as a public figure, is well known as not being Jewish, I didn’t think I was going too much out on a limb to make that joke. But I certainly hope I didn’t offend you, and I promise I meant no disrespect.

I appreciate your feedback.

Ben

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said!

Julie and Steve said...

You GO girl! Advocate on behalf of your little girl...Whoo hoo...

Susan said...

Great letter, mamma-to-be...and I'll bet you get a reply!

Stephanie said...

Again, well done, Wendi. I'm glad he replied and I accept his apology.

Daniella said...

Good for you - glad to see he responded. By the way, my son got a red footed tortoise today for his bday - he named her Addie. Made me think of your niece. Hope all is well....

KJ said...

awesome letter and you are awesome for sending it. lia is so lucky she will have you as a mom. we are all lucky to know you. im so glad he responded.