Thursday, July 26, 2007

This baby!

So, when it comes to having a baby, nine months is pretty significant. It marks the end of gestation….the culmination of growth inside of one’s mother. It marks birth. Of course, being paper-pregnant, the 9th month mark is just another month closer to your child. A month down in a wait that you are unsure when it might end. We are 8 months,4 weeks and one day today, but who is counting. I have been asked lately why I don’t chose to go to another country. Or perhaps, adopt domestically. Why wait so long? First off, I must say, that I would love to have two or three children. I would love to raise siblings and enjoy a house filled with my children. I know that this is unrealistic for us. Our lifestyle and more importantly our age, really does restrict having more then one child. Some might disagree with that, but it is reality. I am a 40h something (more then something) working mother, certain things restrict me. But that is our choice, So why not go somewhere else –go where it might be quicker. I want one day Lia-Rose to read this and understand something critical….WE ARE WAITING FOR YOU! You are the child we were meant to have. And I can’t explain it better then this….I know and Joe knows deep down in our hearts that Lia-Rose is in China. Any other baby would not be Lia-Rose. Any other child would not be the baby I was meant to mother. Some might think I am crazy or that I am being close-minded to other opportunities. NO. This is where she is. I am stubborn as a mule. I know this for a fact.

There is a Yiddish word that I love. It’s “bershert”…translation-meant to be. I do believe this truly is “meant to be”. I have to wait, for that is part of this process. There is nothing I can do but stay focused, and WAIT. I am nine months down for god’s sake. Time goes on...hours turn into days, and suddenly it’s the weekend. Then poof, the weekend is over. We have to enjoy and savor every moment of this time. It goes quickly. And now, I want to ENJOY this pregnancy. I want to buy clothes for her, and start shopping for baby furniture with my mom and sister. I want to plan out the colors of her room and start cleaning out that messy closet in there. Being Jewish, we wait a bit for this, what can I tell you? I so want to revel and be as excited as any expectant mother is. Come on waiting mom’s! We are going to have a baby!!! We are going to be someone’s mommy. I am going to be a mother of THIS baby. My Lia-Rose, born in China.


Addendum: Cute thing happened.....I was in the ladies room at work for the eighth time in an hour, I am exagerrating, but I am drinking too much water. Anyway, I was telling someone I work with that a friend of ours was pregnant. Then she mentioned another woman we know is also pregnant. I said, "u know I am pregnant too". I said, "as matter of fact I am nine months pregnant!"...She looked at my like I had two heads...I said "I AM HAVING A BABY GIRL IN CHINA!!!!" It felt so good, and so natural to just announce this to her!!! I am as pregnant as anyone else is!!! In a different way, but it all will count the same in the end!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Love, love, love this post!!! Beshert is one of my favorite words and I have always called Jason, "my beshert".

I too have held off on shopping. Is it the Jewish part about being cheap? :):). I know I need to start soon. Real soon.

Anonymous said...

Well said! Announce it everywhere, talk about it — you're expecting! People who ask about changing countries don't get it. They don't understand adoption, so don't waste your time. YOU ARE HAVING A BABY GIRL!

Joanne said...

GREAT POST!!!! When we "know" in our hearts that our baby is in China ~ there is no turning back, no other choice ~ Happy 9 Months!!!