Friday, July 06, 2007

Sex and the City ….the movie!

It's so exciting. My girls are going to back. The movie starts filming in the fall of '07! What is going to happen? Carrie and Big? Miranda and Steve? Samantha up to her tricks? And of course, at the end of the show Charlotte and Harry got their referral picture of their baby girl ….in China! Yee haw! Can this be a positive story about adoption? Something a bit more realistic then what happened on the King of Queens. I didn't see it, but apparently they decide to adopt, and in one episode, they apply, they get their baby and of course then get pregnant. I have high hopes for Sex and the City to reflect the truth about what we are going thru. O'k a little Hollywood license allowed. A little creative bending the rules. They have always been accurate of their portrayal of single life in NYC. In fact, my life was pretty much at the same point as the girls during the hay day of the show. Not quite as exciting, but I do always say that Joe is my "Aidan". So why is it that the chit chat on IMDB is that Charlotte does in fact go to China to get her baby and guess what, while there she finds out she is pregnant! I am sure we will hear the lines-"that always happens. You adopt and you then get pregnant. You have your real baby too!"

We have all heard it. I have. "Oh Wendi, your adopting…bet you get pregnant." "Wendi, your period is late….what if you're pregnant?" Listen up …listen closely. I am not going to get pregnant. It's not going to happen……I don't care. I am thrilled to be delivering my baby thru the birth canal of the CCAA. This is how I was meant to have this child. Why do the media have to perpetuate the myth that adoptive moms get pregnant after they decide to adopt. I will be disappointed if the Sex and the City The Movie producers do that. Please, let Charlotte and Harry have a safe and easy trip to China. I might be the only one who feels this way, I am sorry. I just think it makes adoption look like second best…..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Thank you for writing about this. I hear it all the time.

Ellie

Daniella said...

Okay - now I know another reason we were meant to be friends - I love(d) Sex in the City - never missed an episode. They so better not screw it up like King of Queens - I loved that show til the end. It was beyond unrealistic and just plain stupid the way they portrayed adoption. I hope sex does a better job. I can't wait!!! Funny Sex in the City coincidence. The first name we chose for our baby was Charlotte and then we ended up with Miranda - both Sex in the City names but trust me not done intentionally at all. Too funny. So we are here in NJ and have had company since we arrived at the airport and no signs of letting up yet :) Happy yes, but a bit stressful - fill you in via email....