Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Blog moments

As I write this we are returning from our trip to the nation's capitol. We are on 95 headed north somewhere between DC and Baltimore. There were happy but yet very sad moments over the last few days. There were so many things that as I was experiencing them I thought to myself, "wow this would make a great blog post". My father and I argued about blogs and I suppose my blog in particular. I am guessing his generation does not understand public exposure of private thoughts. We, Joe and I tried to explain to him that this up-to-the minute log of our life and journey to Lia-Rose will be an incredible gift for us to give her. Its memories as they are happening. How great is that? I am not sure he understood, but that's o.k.

Seeing my aunt and uncle was incredibly sad for me. The two of them looked so beaten down by the years. Pain and sadness was evident by looking at them and hearing the weakness in their voices. It broke my heart. Just five years ago we were drinking Manhattans and dancing to jazz music at a Steak House on 57th Street. Now, dining was exhausting and no cocktails and dancing. A few laughs, some fond memories and stories shared. Getting old sucks. A natural passage in our lives, but none the less it really stinks. I am glad I saw them and spent this time.

Now, for some more uplifting thoughts...Joe and I did the quickest tour of DC ....passing by all the monuments quickly, and I (undercover) gave a finger to the resident of 1600 Pennsylvania. I think Joe got a good feel for the Capital but we will definitely have to go down again. There were Chinese families everywhere as well as adoptive families. In fact at a rest stop on the way down we met a family with two kids from Kkhastan ( I have absolutely no idea how to spell it). The children were Eurasian and so beautiful. I gravitated to the little girl who it turns out was 11 months old and had just been home a month from the orphanage. She was lovely and her family was so friendly and kind. Then in the ladies room, I ran into a mom and Chinese daughter from Long Island. The daughter had been adopted 7 years ago. While touring in DC I kept spotting adoptive families all over the place. In fact, that was the best part of the day. I kept saying to Joe…"there's another family!" I think he thought I was going to talk to them all…it was just so reassuring to see so many wonderful blended families.

My Waiting Family Support Group has kicked off with close to 50 families. The letters of thanks I am getting is overwhelming. I can't let them down and hope I can make an impact. Well Happy Fourth! Referrals are supposedly on the way. Still stuck in November of '05…but it's moving..slowly as I have said before but surely. But the great news is that Ann Marie and Zach have their baby goy...oops..I mean boy, but I suppose he is a goy..(that's yiddish for non jew) anyway..I urge you to look at the photos of him ...he is beautiful. Ann Marie..MAZEL TOV.(comeundone.typepad.com)


 

1 comment:

Daniella said...

Happy 4th - thanks for sharing your trip. We have arrived in NJ - weather has been good until today - no fireworks :( The Coast Guard cancelled the barge coming in due to wind - still had fun. Family has been here since we arrived and more arriving next week - overwhelming but fun. I can so relate to seeing/noticing blended families. Be well :)