Sunday, August 13, 2006

Working Girl

Right out of college all I wanted to do was work. I wanted a career. To be a "career woman" and be successful in a job. I saw it very clearly back then. I knew I loved marketing, radio, promotion, sales, advertising and broadcasting. I launched my career and got the chance to meet and work with so many wonderful people. I had some great experiences and along the way, did some incredible things. I have been very blessed in this regard. I was never some major executive or CEO, but I've been successful in the world in which I exsist. I wasn't ready to be married or have children until my late 30's. I can't explain it. Some women know they want that right away...I mean the marriage and the family. I longed for adventure, fun and excitement. Of course for those who know me well they know that I also wasted a lot of time getting down and discouraged. Something happened to me later in life when I realized that whatever I was going through I was going through for a clear reason. It was o'k if my schedule was, well my schedule. This weekend, someone close to me, stated that they felt it was really "terrible" that I'd be a working mom. I actually was very offended. I felt that this person felt that I was going to be less of a mother then say someone else who can stay home with their children. It is funny, most of my friends are working mom. Most of the kids I know come from families where both parents work. Not only is it a necesssity these days, but it's absolutely the norm. I am not working because of some selfish reason. Both my husband and I work to take care of our families and our responsiblities. It's a fact of life these days. I will be the most devoted and determined mother. I will make sure that my child has a roof over her home, wonderful hot meals in her tummy, and an education. She will learn from me that a women can be both a professional accomplished business person as well as a devoted and caring mother. I will make sure that my daughter is taken care of when I am working. Look, I know I'm going to miss out on a lot. But I also know that when we are together, the time will be about us. She will experience the best world that I can offer her and grow up believing that although sacrafices have to be made. She too, can have what ever she wants to have.

No comments: