Friday, August 11, 2006

Why China?

I get asked that question all the time. First I felt offended. I mean it's almost like asking someone, why are you pregnant? But, if you asked, I do understand why you might ask that question.

Let me answer. Because that is where my daughter is. I can't say it better then that. I feel in my heart that this is where she is. There was never really any doubt for me. I just have a clear picture of her and a feeling in my heart that is so deep thatI don't even question it anymore.

Now, one can argue that China's adoption program, being very legitimate, professionally run and experienced is another draw. Or that there is a very high likelihood that this child will be well taken care of in the orphanages. Or that China being open to older parents adopoting their babies is another drawing factor Or the fact that this will be a closed adoption, there is no chance that the biological mommy will ask for the baby back. Yes, of course these are reasons that I took into consideration. But that was simply, for me, the icing on the cake so to speak. My child is there. And it is from there that we will seek her.

Yes, we did ask for a little girl. As you may know, China's one child policy has created the high volume of little girls being abandoned. The mothers and fathers that are given away these children are in fact doing it out of love. They had no choice. Our babies need to know that. Think of the love that a parent must have for their child to know that they will be better off with another family, almost definetly in another country. How much pain do they feel? And in this pain, these parents are truly angels because they are given another mother and father the true joy of becoming a family.

There was no other way for me to become a mommy. It blows me away thinking about how another's sacrafice is the reason that I am able to become a mother. Whoever Lia's birth parents are .... I will always hold them in my heart. I can never thank god enough for them and I wish them only peace.

No comments: