Sunday, August 20, 2006

The question of money

O'k, I put it there. It is what everyone thinks about. The question that is on the tip of everyone's tongue. Yes, it costs alot of money to adopt a baby. So what! It's a dream come true and is there a price you put on that?
This weekend we got the official agency contract and first "invoice". That covers the cost of the paperwork, the dossier service, yada yada. It is what it is. But, please, understand, I am not "buying a baby". I don't look at it that way. We need the adoption agencies to be able to do this. There is no lawyers involved, they help us faciliate the whole process. Funds also go to the orphananges and such.
On Friday, a business collegue and I were talking on the phone. It' s not even someone I am that close to. She said to me "how much does it cost anyway". I was really taken back. This is not a question you ask someone. It's a very private matter, and as an adoptive parent I find it a bit offense to be asked that question. It makes the whole experience seem to much like a business arrangment. This is about love ...nothing more.
I answered her exactly like that. I said," it costs, what it costs. But can you put a price on the greatest love in your life? "

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People are nosey and so forward aren'they? Your response was perfect! Keep the chin up...the wait is necessary and it will go faster if you don't think about when....just that it is happening! trust me....when it comes to children....time goes so fast you can't keep up. It will get here!