Thursday, October 11, 2007

The morning after

So funny. I re-read my blog posting last nite. I purposefully kept the typos in, thought it was funny. It truly was a great night and I am really proud. I have been doing special events and promotions for many many years. I very naturally am a "producer", so I have great joy in running around in high heels with a clip board trying to keep track of a show. Years ago, I worked for a big radio station in town that catered to the hip hop crowd. It's a shame, my niece's and stepchildren (who actually weren't even in my life yet) would have thought I was totally cool back then. I worked with some very well-known artists including Queen Latifah, P-Diddy-Sean Combs-Puff Daddy (whatever you want to call him) and my favorite, Coolio (not that famous, but love saying his name)
. I also worked with some very classic performers such as Ashford and Simpson, Roberta Flack, Issac Hayes
, Barry White and Kool and the Gang. I guess today I am a bit reflective about the all of this today because I am "post event tired" (p.e.t.) I've been doing all of this for a really really long time. One day I will share stories with Lia-Rose....tell her how important it is, especially as a woman, to enjoy your career and to do exciting projects that always keep you energized and challenged. I know that some won't agree with me. But for me, being a working woman, and then working mother, is important. I do not take away anything that Stay at Home Mom's (SAHM's) bring to the table. In fact, I truly admire you for that. For me though, I feel that being a Woman who works, it is a way for me also to help shape the path for other young women for generations to come. I work with alot of younger girls...my interns, the young twenty-something's just starting out in the career. I am glad that I can in a sense be a role model of being a working woman. I think it's important for young girls to know that if they want to work and have a career, it's doable. It wasn't that many years ago that our mothers and grandmom's were not able to have the same advantages in the world that we do. The great news about the world now is that women do have a choice. You can work. Or you can not. It's in your hands to make that choice. Whatever serves you the best. We have the choice. I am so happy to see Hilary Clinton
doing so well in the recent polls. For anyone who knows me well, you know that I love her. (no political discourse here) But this is the first time a woman is really being taken seriously in a Presidential Race. This is great for all of us. (Btw the same for Obama Barak. It's important that children of color know that there are opportunities like this for all of us) Anyway, I have no idea why this post went to this place. But the bottom line is this. SAHM or Working Mom....we are examples for our children. What an incredible responsibility and legacy we can pass on.

6 comments:

Susan said...

So funny, I think we need to co-write a blog, since I love your posts...and lately always want to add something!

Today's add-a-nugget: Yes, you're a wonderful role model as a career woman/family gal. You're an even BETTER role model as a successful career woman who completely eschews the negative career-woman stereotypes! Not that I'd really know (I may have missed some doozies!), but I've never seen you be anything but kind and compassionate with your colleagues. You succeed by being warm, enthusiastic, matter-of-fact, and damned good at what you do... never, oh, what's that thing that rhymes with "itchy"?

That makes you a kick-ass role model for those 20-somethings under your wing, girl!

Email Marketing Yenta said...

Oh my love...that is so sweet! And glad you can be apart of something of the stuff I am doing. You are just a wonderful lovely beautiful kind considerate girl yourself.
xoxoox

Stephanie said...

Get out, Ashford & Simpson?!! So jealous of you working with all of those artists. I am a blue-eyed soul sister and am beyond impressed.

Moreover, I admire you greatly for what you're doing for our future daughters.

Email Marketing Yenta said...

I had my 40th birthday party at their resturant....! Hey if u want when u are here in December we can go there for dinner...it's a very cool little place with great African wine!

Julie and Steve said...

Hope your event went well...

I can totally relate to your post. GO HILARY! Whoo hooo....

~ The OLM

Daniella said...

What an amazing career you have - sounds like fun. Makes me wish I still lived in NY :)
Sorry we keep missing each other. Hope you have recovered.