Saturday, January 13, 2007

My Aunt Helen

My Aunt Helen is my father's sister. She is very very ill tonite. We aren't sure if she is going to make it and I feel, of course, very sad about it. In the last few years I really tried to reconnect with her. I knew she was up there in age, and I wanted to have some special memories of her. I am so glad that we shared those phone conversations and emails. She really opened up to me in a way that many her age have not. Aunt Helen was so excited when I got married. She herself had recently remarried and she compared the love she has with her husband George with the love that "Joseph" (as she called him) and I share. Aunt Helen was one of the first people I shared my news about the adoption of Lia Rose. She was over the top happy for me, and said so many many times. In fact, and she was dead serious, she told me how she discussed with her husband that she, too, would like to adopt a daughter from China. I gently tried to explain to her that at 80 years plus, that might not be that easy, but it was a wonderful and generous thought. Aunt Helen shared with me that she had a lot of sadness when she was growing up but had found such happiness in her life in her later years. Every email and phone conversation ended with a G-d bless you Wendi. Tonite, I ask G-d, please bless my Aunt Helen.

1 comment:

Daniella said...

Hello
Just wanted to let you know I was checking your blog after being off line a bit - my mom and sister where here from NY and we had a nice visit together - Your Aunt will be in my prayers - sounds like she is a special person and what a wonderful relationship you two share. Your trip to Broadway sounds like fun - look forward to photos. We will spend a month in NJ in July and will definitely get into NY to see a play or two. Okay we are almost 3 months down in this long wait.... Glad to share it with you.
Daniella
lid 10/27/06
www.kowalskijourney.blogspot.com