Monday, November 05, 2007

Sometimes life gets in the way of rainbows

I didn’t blog about this until now because everything is totally fine. But I did have a small little hiccup in my mammogram a few weeks ago. Panic set in when I go the call to go back and get more shots. Something didn’t look right. My doctors both called me and assured me they thought it would be fine. The scheduling nurse at the mammogram facitlity did as well. But, you still panic. You panic that your whole future can change in the blink of any eye. The idea of having a baby. Forget about that. The thoughts were just that. Thoughts. Today I went back and all was o’k. There was nothing there. Nothing.

But, I had to go back there for a reason.. And now I realize why I went there today at just the time a beautiful woman named Mary walked in.

We both sat in our robes awaiting the technician. I was so nervous. Mary was too. She sat talking on the phone.

Her phone rang and the sound of a little girl’s voice rang out as her ring-tone. I smiled and asked her who that was and she said, my daughter. She went on to say, my daughter is dead. We then both broke down and cried. And cried. And cried. I went over to her and hugged her. She asked me if I had a daughter. I told her I was adopting and it was far off. She smiled and said that was wonderful. She told me this was the first time she had really ventured out.

Her daughter Stella died just nine months ago at the age of 6 from Leukemia. She was an absolutely gorgeous child. Her family, father-mother, and three older brothers are devastated, of course. The family has used this raw horrible sadness and started a foundation “The Stella Linado Rainbow Foundation”. Stella loved rainbows her mommy told me. They are determined to help beat this disease through education and research. On November 29th they are doing a big concert in the city as a major fundraiser.



Check out the website: stellasrainbowfoundation.org. There are also more photos of her. Donate. Hug your children. Your pets. Your husband. We are blessed. I am grateful my pain is just the pain of this long wait. I am grateful that I can deal with this. I have my health. I have my family.

God bless Mary and her family. I am going to help her by trying to spread the word to some of my media friends. They are one special family. Sometimes life gets in the way of rainbows.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh, I have goosebumps and tears! You are right - you were meant to be there at that very moment to meet Mary and hear about her sweet daughter!

Susan said...

Wow, no words....

But yes, that certainly is why you were there when you were!

Daniella said...

I believe we are are in certain places at certain times for a reason - just like you meeting this women. Thanks for sharing this. I'm off to th the website now. Let's try to connect tomorrow.
xoxo

Daniella said...

Just left the website - can't stop crying - made a donation and will buy some stuff as well. My cousin is very sick with a rare blood disease and I am on the bone marrow registry. I was not a match for her but who knows maybe for some one, some day. To save one life - what that would mean. Makes the wait seem very easy right now.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. That sure is a reality check to remind you to thank god everyday for your life. Thank you.
forksandchopsticks.wordpress.com

kitchu said...

Wow. I'm speechless and in tears. Thanks for posting this.

Stephanie said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you had a scare with your mammogram. I know the feeling when you're asked to come back in for anything additional and no matter that they say it's probably nothing it's scary. But like everyone else said, you were meant to be there.

xoxoxoxo