Friday, June 13, 2008

Pretend

I have mentioned before that I have new next door neighbors that are Chinese. The father has been here for over a year, but his wife and daughter arrived about five months ago. They are all just learning English and the American ways. I love having them so close by, they are extremely nice and of course, they are also educating me on many Chinese cultures and traditions. The best part is that the Mom, Yo, knows how excited I am to become mommy to Lia-Rose. She let's me "pretend" that her daughter Jacey is mine J. Jacey is unreal. She is 11 years old, but already stands 5'5. She is looks a good five years older then she is and is, as she told me, "the tallest kid in the school!" She is also brilliant. She plays classical piano, speaks Chinese, English and Japanese, is very outgoing and saavy and just has the most refreshing spirit. I actually forget how young she is. She has a maturity about her that is truly remarkable. Her mother tells me that in China all her friends play piano, and although here she seems so talented, her mom tells me that in China, she is just average. I can't believe that.

Anyway, last night Jacey came over to visit. I know, I know, I am very weird, but it was so beautiful to see a young Chinese girl in my house. She wanted to see the baby's room. Right now, it's a combo of my stepdaughter's room and baby to be's. There's a big bed, but lots of stuffed animals and books. Jacey told me it will be perfect. This morning she was running late for the school bus and I picked her up and drove her down the street.. She got out of my car in front of all the other kids and their moms. I kissed her and said, have a great day sweetie!!! She said, "Bye, I love you!" Then I looked down at my key chain. (Jacey gave me her school picture, which they produced in a number of sizes, including making some into key tags, one is now on my key chain) Her little beautiful face smiled up at me. For a few minutes, I saw the future. And it was so nice to pretend!

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I am hoping that very soon, you won't have to pretend:-)!!

Susan said...

Aww, what a sweet moment!

And, what Jocelyn said... :-)

Anonymous said...

Make-believes do come true.
-Anonnie