Thursday, July 09, 2009

It hasn't all been perfect

I read some bloggers and they talk about how incredibly perfect their child is. How blissful they are. How easy everything is. Who are these people? I was tempted not to write any of this. I mean, his blog is supposed one day be read by Miss Lia. Should she know that her mother nearly had a breakdown today because she wouldn't brush her teeth,take a bath or eat her breakfast. To tell you the truth, I think I did have a breakdown. The tears flowed. I called my friend Judy who has years in childcare and she calmed me down. I felt better afterward.

This is challenging. Lia right now is going through her own adjustment. As am I. We are a family for a month now. So much has happened. I am not going to sugarcoat this. It hasn't all been easy. Not at all. Yes, we have beautiful moments of bliss. Of laughter of smiles. But Lia is very tough. She is strong. She is exhibiting lots of curiosity. She also will show her anger and frustration in different ways...by hitting, screaming, pinching and biting. It breaks your heart. She is just confused and anxious. And it makes me cry.

I go back to work next week. Preschool part-time starts soon. I can't imagine not being with her, yet, there is a big part of me that knows it will be great for us both.

As Lia now says..."I love you so much." I do I do I do.

6 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Those people who say it is always perfect are big fat liars!!! There are such hard days and I will not lie, more to come...but one smile from her melts you and makes the not so great times go away!! I bet she is going to LOVE being in school...she is going to make little friends so easily...look at how she was with Pacey!!!

Joanne said...

When I think back on when Mia first came home...WOW, sometimes I wonder how I survived!! It is a time of adjustment for everyone, testing limits and trial and error ~ before you know it, you will be in a routine and things will calm down... thinking of you!

Lisa said...

Hang in there. Some of this behavior is typical kid stuff and they will test you each day. It is a big adjustment for you both. Remember you are never alone, and your feelings are totally normal.
So now how bout some pictures.
lol
Lisa

KJ said...

I know I'm not a mother - so might not have the wisdom some other people do... but LIFE is not easy, LIFE is not perfect, LIFE is challenging... so I can imagine that this, too, would be. I see my friends, sleep deprived and exhausted, and its obvious that motherhood is hard work ... but i see how the women that they've become... and it's obvious it is worth it. You have another whole set of challenges with the adjustment and language and everything else... but it will be that much more rewarding, I think. Hang in there. It's ok to be thankful for Lia and to love her soo much, but also to admit that it is hard. The two do NOT go hand and hand. I love you and CAN NOT WAIT TO MEET LIA in a week! xoxox

Susan said...

Not much to add, except it STILL amazes me how such little people can be SUCH a handful!!! And you're right, loving your child and being driven insane by her are absolutely not mutually exclusive.

You know I understand the personality type and adjustments you're dealing with, so seriously...call me ANY TIME you need to vent.

ps> As the communication barriers come down, the rewards definitely grow!!

Mama Melissa said...

Oh dear sweetie. Oh dear. I hope you haven't read my stories and thought that our coming home was perfect. Or my first few days, weeks and months!!! I CRIED and CRIED... Mia was OK...albeit, more quiet than most... but it was me. I lost it.

I hope you are starting to feel a snad better. How is this week going? You back to work? How's the daycare transition???

BIG HUGS. Please write!!

Sending up a prayer!

Blessings,
Melissa